Brynamman Public Hall and cinema traces it's origins to the 1920s where it was funded by the "check-off" system, whereby weekly contributions were deducted from the miners' wages, initially to build the hall, and subsequently to run it.
Building work on the new Brynamman Cinema started in 1924 with seating for around 1,100 people. It was furnished throughout with tip up seats upholstered in old gold corduroy.
The stage was built 20ft by 60 ft and had 4 dressing rooms below. The lounge was situated below the library it contained 12 armchairs and 3 settees where the miners could relax or play cards around the several oak game and card tables therein. There was also a billiard room above the library.
The opening ceremony was held on 15th May 1926, the cinema started with silent films until the 1930's, when the "talkies" came along.
Today, Brynamman Public Hall continues to grow and has kept up with all the changes the film industry has made over the years, most recently being the transformation to digital projection. As of May 2013, the cinema has the ability to show two films simultaneously for the first time in its 89 year history thanks to the opening of Screen 2, a 43 seat auditorium situated in the old lounge space.
All of this has been possible due to the good work of the committee of volunteers who run the day to day business of the cinema.